Check for leaks: it's easy
Did you know that it's easy to check whether gas is escaping from your cylinder or gas hose? Prepare some soapy water with washing up liquid, and use it to moisten the connection and hose slightly with a sponge or cloth. Escaping gas makes bubbles. If you cannot see any bubbles forming, no gas is escaping.
- Can you smell gas? First turn off your gas appliance and then your gas cylinder and ventilate the room.
- Ensure adequate ventilation. If a room is adequately ventilated, gas will not build up in the room in the event of a leak. If you are using a gas cylinder outside, never bury it.
- Never leave a gas cylinder in the sun or near an open fire or heating appliance.
- Never put a cylinder in the cellar or near a cellar door. Because the gas in a gas cylinder is heavier than air, any escaped gas will seep downwards, causing a gas build-up in the cellar.
- Always use the gas cylinder in an upright position. The pressure regulator on the cylinder is always designed for upright use. If a cylinder falls over, stand it up again immediately.
- Change your gas pressure regulator every five years.
- Always use the legally recognised orange gas hose for the connection between the gas pressure regulator and your appliance. For domestic use, a hose may be no longer than 2 m, on a boat 1 m, and in vehicles 0.75 m. The host must not be stretched taut. You should definitely replace a gas hose every two years, or whenever in doubt (e.g. if it has become slightly damaged).
- Keep gas cylinders well away from lit cigarettes, flames and open fires. This is particularly true while you are connecting a cylinder, when the chance of escaping (and hence slightly inflammable) gas is higher.
- Always turn off the gas tap on the appliance first, and then that on the gas cylinder.
- Don’t leave cylinders standing empty bring them back to an Antargaz distributor in your local area. Even when you are no longer using a half-empty or even a full cylinder, it is best to return it to an Antargaz distributor. Bring the deposit card for your cylinder with you so that you get your deposit back.
- Do not force connections. If you cannot connect a gas cylinder easily and smoothly, exchange it with your distributor.
- Only buy sealed cylinders. Antargaz cylinders are sealed after refilling, which is how you can be sure that they have been checked.
- Has a fire broken out near the cylinder? Phone 112. Remove the cylinder well away from the heat. If that is not possible, try to spray it to cool it down until the fire service arrives. Stand well away.